Error adding microemu device
Michael Sowka
2008-05-24 19:27:10 UTC
I'm trying to setup a eclipseme development environment on my mac
leopard system. I have read that this was possible with the
availability of microemulator and eclipseme's support for it. I've
installed microemulator and works great, but on trying to add the
device in eclipseme I get a NullPointerException (detailed error
report in the attached log excerpt).

Any ideas anyone? Would love to work on my J2ME projects under OS X.

Thanks,
Mike
Craig Setera
2008-05-24 23:07:06 UTC
Mike,

This seems pretty odd... Can you grab the contents of the Help -> About
Eclipse SDK -> Configuration Details.

Thanks,
Craig
Michael Sowka
Craig Setera
2008-05-25 18:38:23 UTC
I don't see anything obvious. I do know that someone else once reported
problems in EclipseME getting along with Mylyn. I wonder if that is
possible? Would it be possible to give things a try in an instance
without Mylyn installed to see if that makes a difference?

Thanks,
Craig
Michael Sowka
2008-05-25 20:12:36 UTC
Craig,
I've first tried disabling Mylyn in the 'Java Eclipse' install I had
(Disable all Mylyn plugins in configuration manager tool), that had no
effect. Then, I've also tried installing a new 'Classi Eclipse'
platform, reinstalling EclipseME, but here also the critical error
persists.
Is there a way around this, ie, how can I manually add the device?
Thanks,
Mike
Michael Sowka
2008-05-26 00:53:35 UTC
Craig, one last note on this. I've tried setting up an
EclipseME/microemulator development environment on my windows machine
(standard eclipse 3.2 etc)... and I get the exact same error. If there
is some other way i can assist in getting to the bottom of this, let
me know.
Mike
Anders Eriksson
2008-05-26 08:55:25 UTC
Hello,

not sure if this messages attaches to the previous thread with same
name but it is really the same problem. ( I am a new user to the
mailing list so I didn't find an obvious way to reply to the thread)

In our project we have two developers with exact same NPE problem.

My stack trace looks the same, beginning with the following:

java.lang.NullPointerException at
eclipseme.core.model.impl.Library.hashCode(Library.java:163) at
eclipseme.core.model.Classpath.hashCode(Classpath.java:208) at
java.util.HashMap.put(HashMap.java:418) at
eclipseme.core.internal.persistence.XMLPersistenceProvider.storePersistable(XMLPersistenceProvider.java:260)
at eclipseme.core.model.impl.AbstractDevice.storeUsing(AbstractDevice.java:282)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDevice.storeUsing(MicroEmuDevice.java:112)
at eclipseme.core.internal.persistence.XMLPersistenceProvider.storePersistable(XMLPersistenceProvider.java:262)
at eclipseme.core.model.device.DeviceRegistry.storeUsing(DeviceRegistry.java:342)

I have tried different combinations of Eclipse (3.3.2.2 and earlier)
and MicroEmulator (2.0.1 and 2.0.2) and alternate workspaces.

I have not yet tried another version of Eclipse ME. Only the latest
version (1.7.9) is available on update site.

I think the problem is related to some behavior in the Eclipse ME
version in combination with MicroEmulator as the code containing NPE
is Eclipse ME code trying to parse the MicroEmulator driver. The NPE
happens on line 163 in the following source code of Eclipse ME
http://eclipseme.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eclipseme/trunk/eclipseme-src/plugins/eclipseme.core/src/eclipseme/core/model/impl/Library.java?revision=6&view=markup
which hasn't changed in years.

Line 163 deals with a "libraryFile" property which is null causing the
NPE. What "libraryFile" related data isn't initialized or parsed
correctly in the MicroEmulator?

Thank you in advance for any help!

/Anders Eriksson

Markus Sinner
2008-05-26 09:34:06 UTC
Hello there,

I think the problem comes from AbstractDevice.java around the lines 282.
There the different values output by "emulator -Xquery" are parsed.

@Anders: could you execute "emulator -Xquery" in the bin-Directory of
your Microemu-Installation? I have no Mircoemulator SDK installed on my
system. Maybe there is one of those Attributes missing and then
eclipseme crashes.

Greetings,
Markus
Post by Anders Eriksson
[...]

psitronic IT-Solutions
Markus Sinner
W-Rathenau-Str. 14 - 68642 Bürstadt
Tel.: (+49)6206 / 963513
Fax: (+49)6206 / 963514

Anders Eriksson
2008-05-26 10:03:27 UTC
Markus,

I have no bin directory in MicroEmulator (not 2.0.2 nor 2.0.1) and I
find not emulator tool...

But I do have a emulator script in the Sun WTK ( 2.5.2 ) bin
directory. I tried to run it (had to tweak by copying the Linux
directory to a new Mac directory) but it appears it only checks
devices from the WTK itself, rather than my MicroEmulators...
(regardless of my current directory or so).

The result of running emulator -Xquery

lillmacen:bin anders$ ./emulator -Xquery
# List of supported devices
device.list: DefaultColorPhone, DefaultGrayPhone, MediaControlSkin, QwertyDevice
uei.version: 1.0.1
uei.arguments: Xverbose,Xquery,Xdebug,Xrunjdwp,Xdevice,Xdescriptor,Xjam,Xautotest,Xheapsize

# Properties for device DefaultColorPhone
DefaultColorPhone.description: DefaultColorPhone
(tons of parameters of each device and only jar refererences to the
WTK itself rather than MicroEmulators...)

Am I supposed to "register" (or similar) my MicroEmulator with the
WTK? And how does this all relate to Eclipse ME?

Yeah I am also running OSX.

Thank you for the help,

Anders
Markus Sinner
2008-05-26 10:57:06 UTC
Hi Anders,

I do not know for sure how Craig implemented the Microemulator-Support.
Maybe there is no "emulator" exe in Microemu, but these parameters have
to be queried somewhere.

I tried using Microemulator in my eclipse-installation - and it worked
fine. I specified "/tmp/microemulator-2.0.2" as the dir to search and
then selected "refresh". That gave 1 result. If I just specify "/tmp",
then I get a NPE too.

Markus

Anders Eriksson
2008-05-26 11:23:28 UTC
Hi Markus,

well I have tried both specifying the microemulator-2.0.2 directory
directly as well as its parent directories. I even tried to move it
explicitly to /tmp just as you have tried. But I get NPE in any case.

Please note that the NPE happens after the device is found. The pop up
window "Import Devices" appears to work all right. Instead the NPE
happens when trying to Click OK in the J2ME's window for Device
management in the Eclipse Preferences. It always happens if the found
microemulator device exists in the device list.

Thanks for the support,

Anders
Craig Setera
2008-05-26 11:49:12 UTC
As you have all discovered, microemu is not a UEI SDK, and therefore
does not have the emulator binary or respond to -Xquery. Microemulator
devices are plumped up by different support that is specific to
microemulator. I'm unsure what is going on here, because this works ok
for me on my Mac.

Michael and Anders, how did you install EclipseME? The resources that
are necessary *must* be unzipped on the file system, while the other
plugins should not be unzipped. If you go through the standard Eclipse
installer, that should be automatic.

On my first look at Micheal's information, it appeared that he was
running Eclipse 3.3. If that is not the case, there is a known bug
(with fix) for Eclipse 3.4 that has these symptoms. It can't hurt for
you to both try installing from http://eclipseme.org/testversions to see
if that solves the problem for you.

Thanks,
Craig
Michael Sowka
2008-05-26 12:38:46 UTC
Craig,

Ummmm, which resources that must be unzipped are we talking about? :|
I've got micremulator unzipped in my ~/bin, eclipse working also in my
~/bin, and EclipseME and all of its dependencies have been installed
using Eclipse's update mechanism. Yes, all this was for Eclipse 3.3,
or 3.2 on Windows.

I have tried Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede?) M7 with the test version you've
provided (unzipped the site package into appropriate directories), but
get the same familiar error.

Mike
Anders Eriksson
2008-05-26 12:53:52 UTC
Craig,

I have installed Eclipse ME using update site (primarily using the
remote site, but also a local archive).

I tried to install Eclipse ME 1.8.0 from your (test version) update
site but the same problem remain.

I could see that Eclipse ME 1.7.8 got disabled when running 1.8.0.

I notice another thing that might be related: I get two warning
messages when browsing for the installed Microemulator.

1. In Import device I click "Browse" to open the file chooser and
navigate to my directory in which Micro Emulator 2.0.2 is installted
and click OK
2. As no driver is shown directly I always click Refresh on the Import Device.
3. The refresh will make the Microuemulator device appear in device
list but also these two warnings appear in the Eclipse error log.

Message: /emptyapi/midpapi20.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /emptyapi/midpapi20.jar
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.protocol.bundleentry.Handler.findBundleEntry(Handler.java:42)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleResourceHandler.openConnection(BundleResourceHandler.java:158)
at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:943)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.URLConverterImpl.resolve(URLConverterImpl.java:41)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.FileLocator.resolve(FileLocator.java:186)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformURLConverter.resolve(PlatformURLConverter.java:54)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.FileLocator.resolve(FileLocator.java:186)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDeviceImporter.getRegisteredAPILibrary(MicroEmuDeviceImporter.java:110)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDeviceImporter.getDeviceClasspath(MicroEmuDeviceImporter.java:86)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDeviceImporter.createDevice(MicroEmuDeviceImporter.java:173)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDeviceImporter.getMatchingDevices(MicroEmuDeviceImporter.java:66)
at eclipseme.core.model.device.DeviceFactory.addDevices(DeviceFactory.java:95)
at eclipseme.core.model.device.DeviceFactory.findDevices(DeviceFactory.java:65)
at eclipseme.ui.internal.devices.DeviceImportWizardPage$7.run(DeviceImportWizardPage.java:383)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:113)

Message: /emptyapi/cldcapi11.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /emptyapi/cldcapi11.jar
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.protocol.bundleentry.Handler.findBundleEntry(Handler.java:42)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleResourceHandler.openConnection(BundleResourceHandler.java:158)
at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:943)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.URLConverterImpl.resolve(URLConverterImpl.java:41)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.FileLocator.resolve(FileLocator.java:186)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformURLConverter.resolve(PlatformURLConverter.java:54)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.FileLocator.resolve(FileLocator.java:186)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDeviceImporter.getRegisteredAPILibrary(MicroEmuDeviceImporter.java:110)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDeviceImporter.getDeviceClasspath(MicroEmuDeviceImporter.java:85)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDeviceImporter.createDevice(MicroEmuDeviceImporter.java:173)
at eclipseme.toolkit.microemu.MicroEmuDeviceImporter.getMatchingDevices(MicroEmuDeviceImporter.java:66)
at eclipseme.core.model.device.DeviceFactory.addDevices(DeviceFactory.java:95)
at eclipseme.core.model.device.DeviceFactory.findDevices(DeviceFactory.java:65)
at eclipseme.ui.internal.devices.DeviceImportWizardPage$7.run(DeviceImportWizardPage.java:383)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:113)

Perhaps these warnings are related?

Thanks,
/Anders
Craig Setera
2008-05-26 20:53:01 UTC
Anders and Michael,

I believe I've found the problem, but I'm having trouble getting this
fixed at the moment. (long story) There is no need to send me any
more details at this time and I will get this fixed as soon as I figure
out how to solve and test the problem.

Craig
Craig Setera
2008-05-26 21:43:59 UTC
For those seeing this problem, please try again with the updated 1.8.0
version at http://eclipseme.org/testversions . I have not changed the
version number, so you will need to first uninstall the 1.8.0 version
currently installed. This version seems to be fixed on Eclipse 3.3, but
fails on Eclipse 3.4 for some other unknown reason. I will look into
that as I have time, but I'm quickly running out of time until later
this week.

Thanks,
Craig
Michael Sowka
2008-05-29 03:13:49 UTC
Craig, well that worked for adding the microemu toolkit, but
unfortunately this version of eclipseme doesn't seem to be able to
create a J2ME project (the project folder in project explorer is
empty). Anyways, I will try the 1.8 release when it's out on a fresh
Eclipse platform.
Thanks for you efforts,
Mike
Craig Setera
2008-06-08 15:53:49 UTC
Michael,

As you've probably guessed, I haven't had a chance to revisit EclipseME
for a bit. Can you fill me in on what you are seeing with the project
creation? Is there anything in the log files?

I'm in my busy period for soccer coaching for the next couple of weeks
and then hope to (finally) take a real vacation in July. With that
said, if I can find and fix the problems you are seeing, I'm more than
willing to try.

Thanks,
Craig
Post by Craig Setera
Anders and Michael,
I believe I've found the problem, but I'm having trouble getting this
fixed at the moment. (long story) There is no need to send me any
more details at this time and I will get this fixed as soon as I figure
out how to solve and test the problem.
Craig
just about anything Open Source.
Michael Sowka
2008-06-09 16:18:44 UTC
Craig, no worries, we all need to get from in front of the computer
:). I've actually had to shift my priorities myself and probably won't
get a chance at J2ME for a while myself. I know my last report was
vague ("project folder empty") so I will try to describe better and
attach log files when I get back to EclipseME in a month or so myself.
Mike
Setera Craig
2008-06-09 18:14:54 UTC
Sounds good. Thanks.
Post by Michael Sowka
Craig, no worries, we all need to get from in front of the computer
:). I've actually had to shift my priorities myself and probably won't
get a chance at J2ME for a while myself. I know my last report was
vague ("project folder empty") so I will try to describe better and
attach log files when I get back to EclipseME in a month or so myself.
Mike
Post by Michael Sowka
Craig, well that worked for adding the microemu toolkit, but
unfortunately this version of eclipseme doesn't seem to be able to
create a J2ME project (the project folder in project explorer is
empty). Anyways, I will try the 1.8 release when it's out on a fresh
Eclipse platform.
Thanks for you efforts,
Mike
Craig Setera
2008-10-20 01:27:48 UTC
Michael,

Just following up on this. Please try the 0.9 release of MTJ to see if
it solves the issues you were seeing.

Thanks,
Craig