Question about Motorola and Certificates
Markus Sinner
2008-05-07 08:02:35 UTC
Hello there,

maybe some of you has experience with motorla phones. I did not get my
certificates working on Motorola devices. We have Verisign and Thawte
Certificates, which work on most phones. Only Motorola Devices like V3,
L2, e770v and some other models do not accept the signatures.

Common error messages are: "Authentication error. Application not
installed.".

If anybody knows if I need Certs from Motorola and where to get them
from / whom to contact, it would help me.

So far - any help would be appreciated!

Markus
--
*********************************
***@psitronic.de

psitronic IT-Solutions
Markus Sinner
W-Rathenau-Str. 14 - 68642 Bürstadt
Tel.: (+49)6206 / 963513
Fax: (+49)6206 / 963514

Use priority code J8TL2D2.
Ed Welch
Setera Craig
2008-05-07 15:44:05 UTC
Don't they also support Java Verified certificates by default? The
other thing to always remember is that a lot of this is controlled by
the carriers. While Moto may support a particular certificate on an
unbranded/unlocked phone, the carriers are free to hack them up...
generally they do this to lock them down tightly to their carrier...
Ed Welch
Marcel Ruff
2008-05-08 08:29:58 UTC

does anybody know where i can get a free test certificate to
test the J2me application if it behaves as expected before buying
one?

Is it possible to create an own certificate and use for example
with the WTK 2.5.2 emulator for Linux?

Thanks
Marcel
--
Marcel Ruff
http://watchee.net

Use priority code J8TL2D2.
Setera Craig
2008-05-08 11:01:26 UTC
If you look in the EclipseME documentation, there is a discussion for
creating a self-signed key for test purposes. http://eclipseme.org/docs/refSigning.html#getKey
This will *not* work for devices.
Hi,
Marcel Ruff
2008-05-08 12:00:17 UTC
Post by Setera Craig
If you look in the EclipseME documentation, there is a discussion for
creating a self-signed key for test purposes. http://eclipseme.org/docs/refSigning.html#getKey
This will *not* work for devices.
A good description, thank you.

If i understand correctly there is no way to emulate / try without
buying a certificate at Thawte, Verisign et al.

Marcel
Post by Setera Craig
Hi,
Marcel Ruff
2008-05-08 12:03:21 UTC
Post by Marcel Ruff
Post by Setera Craig
If you look in the EclipseME documentation, there is a discussion for
creating a self-signed key for test purposes. http://eclipseme.org/docs/refSigning.html#getKey
This will *not* work for devices.
A good description, thank you.
If i understand correctly there is no way to emulate / try without
buying a certificate at Thawte, Verisign et al.
Sorry, i've just reread the 'Emulation' section.
So it should be possible in WTK 2.5.2 ...

Thanks
Marcel

Use priority code J8TL2D2.
Marcel Ruff
2008-05-08 12:05:34 UTC
Post by Setera Craig
http://eclipseme.org/docs/refSigning.html#getKey
Just for your information:
The two links at the very bottom are not working anymore.

Thanks
Marcel

Use priority code J8TL2D2.
Setera Craig
2008-05-08 10:59:59 UTC
Java Verified was supposed to be the way to do that and have it work
for al devices (see http://javaverified.com/) Unfortunately, that
takes away too much control from he carriers and many will not honor
those signing certificates.
Post by Ed Welch
Motorola only allows certificates that are issued by them. You're
probably asking in the wrong place by the way. Try
developer.motorola.com
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Markus Sinner