uncaught exception on eclipse w/ n95
Jamie Allen
2008-08-27 16:51:06 UTC
hi there,

i've been sorting through a bunch of old examples of java me
projects, and have been running into a fairly consistent error with
the n95. compiled programs deployed on the phone always generate an
uncaught exception error. i've not been able to find the actually
exception, and there's a few other reports of similar behavior out
there.

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138599

http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?
ubb=get_topic&f=41&t=004761

that last link pointed me to trying to compile the same code in
netbeans, and it worked like a charm - runs fine. anyone have a
similar story to tell? anyone find a fix? confusing as both dev
environments are looking at the same toolkit?

thanks
-j
jeroen somhorst
2008-08-27 20:56:01 UTC
Maybe it has something to do with the compiler level. Put the compiler level
of the project to 1.4. Maybe that helps. When you examin the trace from the
exception do you have any idea which part of the code is causing it?
Post by Jamie Allen
hi there,
i've been sorting through a bunch of old examples of java me projects, and
have been running into a fairly consistent error with the n95. compiled
programs deployed on the phone always generate an uncaught exception error.
i've not been able to find the actually exception, and there's a few other
reports of similar behavior out there.
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138599
http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=41&t=004761
that last link pointed me to trying to compile the same code in netbeans,
and it worked like a charm - runs fine. anyone have a similar story to
tell? anyone find a fix? confusing as both dev environments are looking at
the same toolkit?
thanks
-j
Yours Sincerely,

Dhr. J.Somhorst
Kraneveld 24
5941 NC VELDEN

Tel: 077 472 0350
Mob: 06 135 75 092
@ : ***@gmail.com
www: http://www.jeroensomhorst.eu/
Markus Sinner
2008-08-27 21:39:22 UTC
Hi Jamie,

somewhere in the configuration you can specify which Java Compliance
you'd like. I chosed "1.3", because some time ago I had problems with
some phones.

I never had such problems on my N95. But on a 6233, an exception was
thrown when calling repaint(), that could never be fetched. The problem
was that I was trying to draw an empty string ("", not null!). But that
should not be the case, as you said it runs with netbeans.

Maybe that can help you.

Greetings,
Markus
Post by Jamie Allen
[...]

psitronic IT-Solutions
Markus Sinner
W-Rathenau-Str. 14 - 68642 Bürstadt
Tel.: (+49)6206 / 963513
Fax: (+49)6206 / 963514

Markus Sinner
2008-08-27 21:42:55 UTC
One other point... I looked at the second link. The guy there does not
try..catch the stuff in the startApp(). Try using a
try...catch(Throwable t) in that method.